MEd, MSc (Health Care Management), MCS (Counselling), BHSc (Nursing), RM, RN, FHKAN (Education & Research – Education), FHKAN (Nursing & Health Care Management), FHKCHSE, FACHSM, AFHKPCA
Associate Professor (Nursing Practice)
Ms Samantha Yuen Chun CHONG is currently an Associate Professor (Nursing Practice) in School of Nursing and Nursing Director, HKU Health System under LKS Faculty of Medicine.
She has been working in both public and private healthcare sectors since 1977 as a Student Nurse, Registered Nurse, Registered Midwife, Head Nurse, Nursing Officer, Nurse Counsellor, Nurse Specialist, Senior Nursing Officer, Executive Partner, Deputizing Department Operations Manager, Senior Nurse Manager, Chief Nursing Officer with experience in clinical services, professional education, nursing management and hospital administration in acute, convalescent and rehabilitation hospitals as well as clinics and centers.
Apart from nurturing younger generations and influencing potential nursing leaders to be a competent, caring, holistic and person-centered nurse, she is also interested in evidence-based and applicable research, Chinese-Western integrative nursing, quality, safety and risk management, leadership and management, clinical mentorship, health education and promotion, on-line learning, elderly and dementia care, bereavement oncology palliative and end of life care, breastfeeding and depression, care for carer, occupational safety and health, mental health wellbeing, voluntary and community services.
She hopes through the concerted efforts among school educators, clinical staff and hospital managers, the healthcare team as a whole can provide safe, quality, loving and professional care to the people they serve.
- Fellow, The Hong Kong Academy of Nursing (Education & Research – Education)
- Fellow, The Hong Kong Academy of Nursing (Nursing & Health Care Management)
- Fellow, Hong Kong College of Health Service Executives
- Fellow, Australian College of Health Services Management
- Associate Fellow, Hong Kong Professional Counselling Association
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing & Pi Iota Chapter
- Former International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners) (1996-2006, 2007-2017)
- Life member, Association of Hong Kong Health Care Professionals
- Life member, Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff
- Life member, Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Hong Kong
- Life member, College of Nursing Management Hong Kong
- Life member, Hong Kong Midwives Association
- Life member, Hong Kong Society for Nursing Education
- Nursing administration & healthcare management
- Nursing education & counselling
- Primary health care & family medicine
- Health education & promotion
- Obstetrical & gynaecological nursing
- Medical & surgical nursing
- Rehabilitation & convalescent care
- Elderly & community services
- Evidence-based practice & applicable research
- Chinese-Western integrative nursing
- Quality, safety & risk management
- Leadership & management
- Clinical mentorship
- Health education & promotion
- On-line learning
- Elderly & dementia care
- Bereavement, oncology, palliative & end of life care
- Breastfeeding & depression
- Care for carer & critical incident support
- Occupational safety & health
- Mental health wellbeing & stress management
- Voluntary & community services
|2018||Health Care Spirit Awards 2018 on Spirit in Long-Serving Nursing (Classified Post, cpjobs.com & Jiu Jik)|
|2015||Outstanding Fellow Award (Hong Kong Academy of Nursing)|
|2012||Quality Improvement Award with highly commended on clinical excellence & patient safety(15th Annual Australian Council on Healthcare Standards ACHS)|
|2007||Outstanding Community Nursing Leader (Honor Society of Nursing Sigma Theta Tau International & Pi Iota Chapter)|
|2002||Outstanding Nurse of the New Century in Hong Kong (Association of the Hong Kong Nursing Staff)|
|2002||1st Runner Up Award for Outstanding Evidence Based Nursing Project “Put the best available evidence into practice: a continuous quality improvement program on fall prevention in an acute hospital” (Nursing Section of Hospital Authority and Institute of Advanced Nursing Studies)|
|2001||Best Hospital Program & Best Poster Award “Caring in a new era: Concerted bereavement movement to enhance holistic care” (32nd International Hospital Federation Congress & Hong Kong Hospital Authority)|
|2001||4th President Award as co-investigator “To evaluate the current practice of intake and output recording in Kwong Wah Hospital” (Institution of Advanced Nursing Studies of Hong Kong Hospital Authority)|
|1997||1st President Award “Establishment of the perinatal loss bereavement support service in maternity unit” (Institution of Advanced Nursing Studies of Hong Kong Hospital Authority)|
- The evaluation of patient safety culture among registered nurses in Hong Kong (Principal Investigator)
- The evaluation of patient safety culture among staff in Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospital (Principal Investigator)
- A study to evaluate patient safety culture in Chinese Medicine Clinics in Hong Kong (Principal Investigator)
- A survey on the future development of Chinese Medicinal Nursing in Hong Kong (Co-investigator)
- Needs and perceptions of nurse educators in Hong Kong (Principal Investigator)
- Evaluation of advanced training in clinical nursing education in Hong Kong (Co-investigator)
- President & Life Member, Hong Kong College of Nursing & Health Care Management
- Board of Director, HKU ShenZhen Hospital, China
- Vice-Chairperson, Specialty Committee of Nursing of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies 世界中醫藥學會聯合會護理專業委員會副會長
- Programme Director, Advanced Diploma Programme in Nursing Leadership & Health Care management, Hong Kong College of Nursing and Health Care Management
- Council & Accreditation Committee Member, The Nursing Council of Hong Kong
- Council Member, Chair of Professional Development Committee, Chair of Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Panel & Education Committee Member; Hong Kong Academy of Nursing
- Member, International Nurses Society on Additions
- Member, Prenatal Diagnoses Ethics Committee, HKU ShenZhen Hospital, China
- Member, Nursing Education Advisory Committee of School of Continuing Education at Hong Kong Baptist University
- Editorial Panel Member, Editorial Panel of the Hong Kong Nursing Journal, College of Nursing Hong Kong
- Panel Member & Life Member, Clinical Assessor Accreditation Panel, College of Nursing Hong Kong
- Panel Member, Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Committee Panel, Hong Kong Tuberculosis Chest & Heart Diseases Association
- Program Committee Member, Professional Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice, Nethersole School of Nursing, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Expert Advisor, UpPotential on-line self-help company to enhance mental wellness of individual
- Advisor, Hong Kong Respiratory Nursing College
- Advisor, Hong Kong Nurses Christian Fellowship
- Former Director of Advanced Training in Clinical Nursing, School of Nursing, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (2016-2019)
- Former Vice Chairperson & Life Member, Chinese Western Integrative Nursing Committee, Hong Kong College of Chinese Medicinal Nursing (2015-2019)
- “Study of Patient Safety Culture in Chinese Medicine Clinics in Hong Kong” for Training Program on Chinese Medicine in Nursing: Theory & Practice organized by Nursing Professional Committee of Guangdong Provincial Association of Chinese Medicine 10-16 Nov 2018 in Guangzhou China (10 Nov 2018).
- “Chinese – Western Integrative Nursing in Hong Kong – Characteristics & Opportunities” organized at the 5th Academic Assembly for Specialty Committee of Nursing of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies organized by Nursing College Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine on 15-16 Sep 2018 in Nanjing China (16 Sep 2018).
- “Obstetric Grief Counselling: Implementation” at Obstetrics & Gynecology Conference with the theme on Focus on Maternal and Fetal Health: Challenges and Opportunities 1-3 Jun 2018 organized by O&G Department The University of Hong Kong Shenzhen Hospital in ShenZen (1 Jun 2018).
- Samantha YC Chong, Nicki WS Pang, XY Peng, Edmond PH Choi, Janet YH Wong, Daniel YT Fong. Evaluation of Patient Safety Culture among Registered Nurses in Hong Kong and China. Oral presentation at the 8th Hong Kong International Nursing Forum cum 2018 ICOWHI Congress on 17 & 18 Dec 2018, Hong Kong.
- Cinder TY Chan, Eve TL Lai, Tiffany MY Li, Joseph CZ Lui, Samantha YC Chong. The First Step of Patient Safety Education in a New Private Hospital – To Evaluate the Patient Safety Culture. Poster presentation with Audience Award at the Frontiers in Medical and Health Sciences Education 2018 Conference on 18 & 19 Dec 2018, Hong Kong.
- Samantha YC CHONG & Christina WY CHEUNG. Hand Hygiene Practice in Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinics: Partnership in Action to Fight Against Antimicrobial Resistance. Poster presentation at the Regional Symposium on AMR on 13-14 Nov 2018, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC, Choi EPH, Wong JYH & Fong DYT. The Evaluation of Patient Safety Culture among Registered Nurses in Hong Kong – Preliminary Analysis. Oral presentation at the 7th Hong Kong International Nursing Forum on 18-19 Dec 2017, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC, Kavikondala S. The Perception on Challenges and Important Mentoring Factors from Clinical Nurses Attending an Education Programme on Mentorship. Poster presentation at the 7th Hong Kong International Nursing Forum on 18-19 Dec 2017, Hong Kong.
- Tang DWH, Lo SSY, Leung SSK, Chong SYC. Development of the Institute of Professional Education (IPE). Poster presentation at the Joint ACHSM / ACHS Asia-Pacific Annual Congress, 28-30 Oct 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Chau ON, Yiu YM, Lau BP, Fong WWY, Chan YS, Chong SYC. Preventing staff slip, trip and fall (STF) injury in operating theatre. Paper presentation in the Annual Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) Quality Improvement Awards, 27 Nov 2014, Australia.
- Chu KK, Chong SYC, Chen RCI, Foo W. Psychosocial oncology & palliative care – Contribution of single room accommodation to end-of-life care. Poster presentation at 20th Hong Kong International Cancer Congress, 14-15 Nov 2013, Hong Kong.
- Cheung PKP, Chan LS, Lo SSY, Chong SYC, Chen RCI. Enhance psycho-spiritual support with peer engagement in breast cancer care. Poster presentation at 20th Hong Kong International Cancer Congress, 14-15 Nov 2013, Hong Kong.
- Chan YS, Chong SYC, Fong WYW, Chan KW. How health system service benefit from innovation – Journey towards a modern Central Sterile Service Department (CSSD). Poster presentation at Australian College of Health Service Management (ACHSM) Asia Pacific Congress on Health Leadership, 28-30 Aug 2013, Canberra, Australia.
- Cheng AYY, Chong SYC. Care for careers through forums – An ethical organization approach to improve hospital service. Poster presentation at Golden Jubilee Conference on Excellence in Care organized by Hong Kong Baptist Hospital, 22 Jun 2013, Hong Kong.
- Wah SL, Yuen HW, Wong SL, Tam YM, Cheuk WH, Lau SF, Lo SY, Chong SYC. Innovative for health education to community on preventing hypertension: private and public partnership. Poster presentation at the Hong Kong Primary Care Conference organized by the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians, 16 Jun 2013, Hong Kong.
- Fong WWY, Chan YS, Chan KW, Lam WM, Wong YW, Chong SYC. Modern Central Sterile Supplies Department (CSSD) – Pioneer application of ISO 9001 / 13485. Poster presentation at the Hospital Authority Convention, 15-16 May 2013, Hong Kong.
- Chu KK, Foo W, Chan KYT, Chong SYC. Minimizing radioactive waste from radioiodine therapy for carcinoma of thyroid. Poster presentation at 19th Hong Kong International Cancer Congress, 9 Nov 2012, Hong Kong.
- Wong SM, Li HYM, Yau LM, Lai YL, Wong SY, Chiang NW, Ma SF, Chong SYC. Hospital-wide fall prevention program with regular review to enhance patient safety. Poster presentation at the 29th International Society for Quality in Health Care Conference, 21-24 Oct 2012, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Cheng AYY, Chong SYC. No satisfied clients without satisfied staff: forums to enhance staff morale and service improvement. Oral presentation at the Australian College of Health Service Management International Annual Congress, 15-17 Aug 2012, Gold Coast Queensland, Australia.
- Chan CTY, Li LC, Ng CY, Wong SKB, Li AON, Chong SYC. Patient safety round – A proactive approach to improve patient safety with staff engagement. Poster & peed oral presentation at the Hospital Authority Convention, 7-8 May 2012, Hong Kong.
- Chan CTY, Lo SSY, Chan SH, Chong SYC. Walk the talk – Medication safety round in Hong Kong Baptist Hospital. Poster presentation at the International Medication Safety Conference, 2-3 Nov 2011, Hong Kong.
- Ng LV, Kam CW, Ng PTK, Chong SYC, Shek JKP, Chan SCK, Lee A. (2009). What are the major factors influencing patients' decision in queuing up for registration in a General Out-Patient Clinic attached to a regional hospital? Hong Kong Practitioner, 31(4), 176-185.
- Yip YB, Sit JWH, Wong DYS, Chong SYC, Chung LH. (2008). A 1-year follow-up of an experimental study of a self-management arthritis programme with an added exercise component of clients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Psychology Health & Medicine, 13(4), 402-414.
- Wu LH, Cheng YH, Lee CP, Chong SYC. (2007). An exploratory study examining breastfeeding practices among mothers in a maternity hospital in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 13, 4-7. (Research grant by the Health Care & Promotion Fund)
- Yip YB, Sit JWH, Fung KKY, Wong DYS, Chong SYC, Chung LH, Ng TP. (2007). Effects of a self-management arthritis programme with an added exercise component for osteoarthritic knee: randomized controlled trial. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 59, 20-28.
- Yip YB, Sit JWH, Fung KKY, Wong DYS, Chong SYC, Chung LH, Ng TP. (2007). Impact of an arthritis self-management programme with an added exercise component for osteoarthritic knee sufferers on improving pain, functional outcomes and use of health care services: an experimental study. Patient Education and Counseling, 65(1), 113-121.
- Leung SF, Chong SYC, Arthur D. (2007). Reducing medication errors: development of a new model of drug administration for enhancing safe nursing practice. Asian Journal of Nursing, 10(3), 191-199.
- Chong Samantha. (2004). Chapter on “Nursing Research” by Suzanne Gordon. Saving Lives & Saving Money Why Nurses Matter in Hong Kong, 27-30.
- Wu Candy HS, Cheng YH, Martinson Ida, Lee CP, Chong SYC. Breastfeeding Practice among Women in Hong Kong: A Glimpse at Barriers and Facilitators in the First 6 Months of Baby’s Life. Poster presentation at 18th World Conference on Health Promotion and Health Education, April 2004, Melbourne Australia.
- Yip Vera, Sit Janet, Chong SYC, Chung LH, Wong Doris. A Randomized Control Trial Study of a 6-week Arthritis Self-Management Programme for Outpatients with Arthritis in Hong Kong. Poster presentation at the Sigma Theta Tau International 37th Biennial Convention, Nov 2003, Toronto Ontario Canada.
- Chung LH, Chong SYC, French P. (2002). The efficiency of fluid balance charting: an evidence-based management project. Journal of Nursing Management, 10(2), 103-113.
- 張淑貞 杜愛瓊 梁麗娟 郭麗燕 莊婉珍。介紹香港醫院的三種護理記錄模式。中華護理雜誌，2002年4月第37卷第4期。
- Chong SYC, Leung SF, Arthur David. Twice Versus Thrice: Experience on the Change of Nursing Practice in Drug Administration Process. Poster presentation at the Hospital Authority Convention 2002 organized by Hospital Authority, April 2002, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC. Put the Best Available Evidence into Practice: a Continuous Quality Improvement Program on Fall Prevention in An Acute Hospital. A paper presented with 1st Runner Up Award for Outstanding Evidence Based Nursing Project at the Seminar of Evidence Based Nursing organized by Nursing Section of Hospital Authority and Institute of Advanced Nursing Studies, 7 March 2002, Hong Kong.
- Leung, SF & Chong SYC. Reducing Medication Errors: Development of a New Model in Drug Administration for Enhancing Safe Nursing Practice. A paper presented at the 7th Nursing Practice Conference organized jointly by University of Adelaide and Joanna Briggs Institute for Evidence Based Nursing and Midwifery in Adelaide, 22-23 November 2001, Australia.
- Chong SYC, Liu HY, Lo SF, Wu MC, Lai YY, Chu YC, Li WY, Cheng KM, Shum HT, Leung LK, Wong MY, Ip KT. Caring in a New Era: Concerted Bereavement Movement to Enhance Holistic Care. Poster presentation with Best Poster Award & Best Hospital Program at the 32nd International Hospital Federation Congress, May 2001, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC. Research Evidence Applied to Health Care Practice: Bereavement Care in Tsan Yuk Hospital. Poster presentation at the Hospital Authority Convention, May 1997, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC. Establishment of the Perinatal Loss Bereavement Support Service in Maternity Unit. A paper presented with President Award at the Colloquium of 2ndEvidence Based Nursing Practice Project, organized by Institute of Advanced Nursing Studies of Hospital Authority, April 1997, Hong Kong.
- Chong SYC. The Lived Experience of Nurses & Doctors on the Therapeutic Relationship with Women Having Perinatal Loss: A Phenomenological Approach. A paper presented at the Colloquium of 1st Evidence Based Nursing Practice Project, organized by Institute of Advanced Nursing Studies of Hospital Authority, November 1996, Hong Kong.
- Lee IWY, Chong SYC. Re-engineering in the Provision of Obstetric Care & the Impact of Day Center in a Maternity Hospital. Poster presentation international Hospital Federation Pan Regional Conference, April 1996, Hong Kong.